Monday, March 8, 2010

Words of Wisdom for Newlyweds

It's ocurred to me over the past 3 months that absence really does make the heart grow fonder. BJ & I have been married for over 6 months now and out of that time, we've spent 13 days apart in January and 4 days this month...going on 6 more. The middle of January I had the incredible privilege of traveling with my place of work to Thailand. We launched/dedicated our study bible in the Thai language. It was so great to see the people of Thailand so excited about receiving a study bible in their language. And then after that we were able to spend a few days sightseeing around Bangkok and 2 days in Hong Kong as well. During that time I was gone, BJ & I were able to communicate through email and we could talk on the phone periodically. I was blessed to be able to call him 2 times a day, once in the morning and once at night. I relished every phone call. It was a difficult time to be away as I missed some exciting things that happened at home and with our youth group and of course sleeping alone in a giant bed was not my idea of fun, but the trip was well worth it and it was a chance of a lifetime. But now as I'm writing this, I've been home alone for 4 days and still have 6 more to go.
BJ has been blessed to travel to Jamaica with Evangel University and capture everything on film. He's using this footage to create his final video project for his senior capstone. While this trip is shorter than mine was, this one is definitely harder to accept. Their phones don't work over there and the internet connection is not always strong. And his time on the internet is very limited as they are staying at an orphanage and have to wait for the kids to go to bed before making any personal contacts at home. For the first time EVER we went 24+ hours without talking to eachother by any means! That alone was a huge challenge for the both of us. But now we have managed a schedule to communicate and that is working great. We'll both be very excited when he is able to return...but we're also very glad for the opportunity he's receiving right now. What an experience to go to another country and experience a different culture. We both have been so incredibly blessed this year and we're only 3 months into it!

So as I would not normally encourage newlyweds to spend 23 days apart in their first 6 months of marriage...it is a good and challenging experience. And let me tell you, the reunion after spending all that time apart is awesome! And it just encourages you and assures you that you made the right choice in a partner cause while they are gone...you realize every day, more and more, just how much you really love and appreciate your spouse. It's not easy and it's definitely not preferred...but if you have to do it...take that moment to really enjoy who you've married and how they fulfill so much of your life. It's a great relationship strengthener.

I'm nearing the downhill countdown of my husband's time away and each day I'm getting more and more excited for it! I look forward to every night that I get to chat with him on skype...but more excitedly I'm anticipating going to the airport the night he arrives and waiting by the luggage carousel only to see him bound through the double glass doors and I can run to him with open arms and feel the warmth of his touch again. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

No comments: